Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Scent will fade


Today is that day, it is like their lives just slipped away without either of them noticing the small thing. He still remembers her move across the room in her sweet way, her scent still lingers in the house. He sits on the bed and wait for her to enter. His reality knows she won't ever come back. He never told her she smells like gorgeous Lavender, he never told her that her skin had its own sweet smell. He would give anything to feel the silky smooth of her face under his palms again. The smould of her back as he pulls her close. He never said, she was his world.

The doorbell rings, he knows who it is. He takes his black jacket off the Lilly green bed spread. It's her colour her presence that he still feels here. He walks trough the house, every painting every speck of life is hers. Her scent still lies in the colours of all her favorite art. He opens the door mom and dad walks in, mom's eyes still filled with tears swollen and pink. He has no word to outer nothing to say, no words would validate what he feels anyway. They sit on the fluffy couches, that she picked out in excitement. He still remembers how the little lines around her eyes wrinkled up as she giggled in pleasure. That afternoon was spent moving the furniture so that her couches got the perfect exposure, the perfect light. She still gave a little hop when everything was perfect. They then made love on the fluffy couch and he explored her perfection one last time.
Mom and Dad reminds him that it is time to go, one more minute in her soul, one more minute in her splendour. God, why did I not tell her Monday morning she is my world. I was more captured by the Daily newspaper.
She kissed me on my cheek, he lips soft and damp. Monday she walked out of his life, and now it is as if she was never here. Walk to the door and take one deep breath her scent will fade, and this will be the last he smells her here.

Father holds him by the elbow as they walk into the church, lavender all around. She would have loved it, the scent the colour the beauty. It shows her soul, it shows her perfection. The preachers start, all I can do is sit and cry.
She is gone and I will never touch her again.

16 comments:

Brian said...

Oh Etain, this is beautiful. I am so teary from reading this because in my mind, it is Diane that is gone. I tell her I love her at every opportunity.

Thanks for this story.

etain_lavena said...

Pleasure Brian...I teared up when I wrote it, everybody should be told they are loved every day:)

Nosjunkie said...

your stuff is great as usual.
I need a favour well actually two.

I have missed some of your inserts on your stories. please e-mail me what youve written so far.

and the other thing is the most important.
Please Please join us at the Blog Party on the 18th.
Bring and Braai and you are more than welcome to bring a friend.
I will be so sad if you go to the U.K before I meat you in person.
I will give directions and everything later.
Pritty Pritty Please

etain_lavena said...

HIhihi....Ok I will check what you missed, I wont send the poerty...
and I think I will be able to make the blog party...hihihih...you asked so nicely how can I say no...
hihih...:)

Charles Gramlich said...

very nice use of the "smell" sense here. It really created a mood. Very sad but bittersweet.

Matt said...

I have a friend whose mother left the family when she was young and then, when the girl was a young adult, died and left forever.

Evocative.

DewyKnickers said...

Hi Etain. Just wanted to take a chance and introduce myself. I am Rose, and I a multiple that lives in Brian. This is an amazing piece of writing. I feel his pain and confusion and the emptiness of a missing soul.

Rose

xo

etain_lavena said...

Thanks Charles.....I love scent myself.
Hey Matt...it is sad when you get to know someone and they need to pass on:(
Hey Rose....Sadness is not always easy thats why most of us need someone, your always welcome:)

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Very moving vignette, ma'am. Can't add mch more to that. (Another 6 word thing there ha ha).

etain_lavena said...

hihihihi...thanks Wayne:)

Inconsequential said...

cool, you used the scent thing :)
smells are so important.

etain_lavena said...

Smell is extremely important in:)

Claudia said...

chills and goosebumps!!

Mike said...

This is so sad. I have to run home to my wife now..........

Turnbaby said...

This is beautiful--I live this--you never know what could happen so you must pay attention to the things that are important. I am also caught up very much in the use of the sense of smell as the touchstone here--it's very powerful for me so as a reader I bring that and it makes this even more powerful. Thank you.

etain_lavena said...

thanks turnbaby(sorry for you loss) and mike an claudia:)