Thursday, March 15, 2007

Poetry Thursday


I really battled with this, seeing that most my poetry I write when I feel like it. I need not give it any concentration because it spills from my soul.
Now I was asked by Brian and Rose to join them in Poetry Thursday, me always keen on anything different and fun, went to read the site, and I liked the idea. Took me 2 days to think what I need to write about, me that writes a poem in under 10 minutes.....hihihi....but alas with a very critical friend guiding me and others that said I will be fine. Here is my first Poetry Thursday poem......DRUM ROLL PLEASE.....*dddddddrrrrrrrrllllllll*

DEASIL
This is a word which now mainly conjures up associations with witchcraft, as it’s the much rarer converse of widdershins. Trying to define it immediately runs into the fundamental problem of how to explain the difference between left and right (clockwise is fine, unless you’re a clock, or one of those jokers who has one that runs backwards; sunwise works in the northern hemisphere only; just try explaining to an alien visitor which is right and which left, using words only).

Deasil

the clock will turn
Bubble, bubble in trouble
eye of mute* and tail of rat
burn and bubble,
burn and bubble.
this be our greatest broth.
Right of right,
burn and bubble,
turn and shrivel.
Laugh of fun, pray in vile.
anti-clock our pot will stir.

we are strong,
will burn you all.
Burn and bubble,
burn and bubble.
Right we turn.
dead rats dangling over
naked; glistening flesh,
dribble over bodies.
Are they prisoners?
Are they food?
will they turn rightly-right?
in the forsaken broth.
Burn and bubble,
burn and bubble.
Turning them over right.




*intended to be mute, a human that cannot speak.

I hope you enjoyed it, I did even when I panicked about it:)

25 comments:

Reenen said...

I love the inter text with McBeth. It's wonderful.

Where/how did you come about the word deasil? It's certainly a new word for me, and I love the "clockwise is fine, unless you’re a clock"... I can just imagine trying to explain the concept "clockwise" while standing on the wrong side of the clock's hands. :-)

etain_lavena said...

huihihihihihi........I think I googled weird words and then came across a web site, but I first googled unknown words....I also took my oxford and paged trough....but this word spoke to me....hihih:)

Marra said...

Amazing poem, since I started reading here, my vocabulary has grown to a crushing size, my google status has evolved from newbie to expert, my love for the arts has been changed from "woteva" to "damn amazing", and my understanding of my sister has grown exponentially!!!!!!!

Hmmm, try explaining left or right...to grem, he's a little alien? Or he was, I think? Try explaining to a woman when a man answers "left" to the following question: Hows it hanging...!

GOOD LUCK!

Brian said...

Welcome to PT my friend, I love this poem and your definition. Just perfect. The left/right thing made me laugh.

Are you going to leave a link at PT?

etain_lavena said...

Thanks My brotherfrom another mother, how I love you so:)
I know that one to the left...sies:)
Thanks Brian, I would love too, and I think I will..hihihih...i just dont know where...whahahaha:)

etain_lavena said...

Ok I left my poem link...I think my problem was I got confuced with the time diffrence...doh:)..thanks Brian:)

DewyKnickers said...

Hi Etain,

I am confused with the left/right thing. Does that mean where you live you are upside down and backwards? ;)

Love the word, it's not in my dictionary though.

Have you been to PT yet today? The post that is at the top is today's post. Click on the comment box, then leave a note with your permalink to this poem here. That's all you need to do.

Rose

xo

etain_lavena said...

whahahahaha....Rose, that must be why I am cinfuced most of my life I am upside down, right....hihihihih
I got it thanks Rose:)

etain_lavena said...

gosh, confused

Beaman said...

Nice imagery. It's a fun poem which I can sense you enjoyed writing.

I was a little unsure about the beat of this part.

'Right we turn.
dead rats dangling over
naked; glistening flesh,
dribble over bodies.'

Maybe leave out the word 'over' and add a comma after 'rats'. Just a suggestion.

Other than that, I like it. Well done!

etain_lavena said...

Thank you Beaman, will take not...appreciated.:)

miss magic said...

powerful poem. :D I like you better than Shakespeare (who I consider an idiot, so that isn't much of a compliment. (; )!!!

etain_lavena said...

hihihihi....Thanks Miss:)

Charles Gramlich said...

Deasil is a word you don't hear everyday. I haven't thought of this one or widdershins in a long time. Enjoyed the poem.

Top cat said...

Fantastic!
The words bring to mind many images.
I love it, great writing.:)
tc

gautami tripathy said...

I find it a bubbling poem. Very sweet.

I liked the intro leading to it.

gautami
Aphasia

writerwoman said...

Very interesting! Dark and intriguing word play.

Welcome to Poetry Thursday! I just joined a little over a month ago myself.

Inconsequential said...

adding another art to your crafts Etain?

:)

wonder what path you would take...

Remiman said...

etain,
What a beautiful name you have!
Thank you for stopping under the microscope to take a peek and leave a precious comment.
I like the way you poeticised your definition...much more interesting than simply prose. I,like you, mull amd puzzle over a prompt for a few days before I can put lead on wood pulp.
Tonight I will ponder while I sleep, how to explain right and left to an alien. ;-)
relleft

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

Very nicely done while in panic mode, etain. i love using words that are often listed as obsolete in the Oxford Dictionary. Yur words, particularly the clock analogy, consistently fascinate me.

etain_lavena said...

Charles never even heard the word till yesterday:)...
Thanks Topcat:)

etain_lavena said...

Thanks Gautami...
And thanks for the Welcome writer woman:)

etain_lavena said...

Ai In:I try my best:)
remiman....even if it took me while to figure out what you said....hihi....thanks:)
The clock is turning anti-clockwise, Wayne...do you think we will then go back in time?

ann said...

Hi Etain

well I for one am pleased Brian persuaded you to join PT, your offering is splended although a little, erm... gruesome... eeeeek!

I'm sure Shakespeare is laughing up there.

lotsa luv ann xxxx

P.S. I am not a member of PT.

P.P.S. 'Deasil' is not in my dictionary... hmmm

etain_lavena said...

Deasil is apparently a wiccan word...so the witches fits I guess:)
Thanks for stopping by Ann:)